Thursday 12 March 2015

Black Strap Molasses Cookies

Did you know that one tablespoon of black strap molasses contains 10% of the recommended daily amount of calcium? Well that is kind of the reason for making these cookies (wink).

For the past few months I have decreased the amount of dairy products I consume. (I will write about this change in diet in a future post).Before this change I frequently ate yogurt and I always enjoyed a tall glass of cold 1% milk.These two snacks alone would provide me with just about 100% of the daily recommended amount of calcium I am suppose to have. It wasn't until I completed the calcium calculator on the osteoporosis website that I realized just how little I was now consuming. My calculations were well below the daily recommended amount of calcium. YIKES!

I then did some research and learned about other non-dairy forms of calcium in an effort to amp up my current calcium intake (the website offers some great suggestions). Black strap molasses contains calcium and it was suggested to drizzle it on a piece a of warm toast. I decided to take it one step further and use it to make some cookies. YUM!

INGREDIENTS:
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup black strap molasses (I used organic)
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
2. In a large bowl mix  the oil and 1 cup of sugar. Add egg, beat well. Stir in molasses, 2 cups flour, baking soda and spices. The dough should be firm, If necessary, add a bit more flour.
3. Place 3 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until tops crack. Remove from baking sheet and cool on rack.

I now am enjoying my molasses cookies with a tall glass of unsweetened chocolate almond milk.
Are you getting enough calcium in your diet?
xoAngela

2 comments:

  1. I recently have some difficult conversations and I did what a lot of people do when they want to know how to do something. I googled it. I came across Dr Williams herbal medicine on blog-site so many people suffering from different kind of palsy and dystonia thanking him about his good work. I also have dystonia. I wasn’t running all over God’s creation with every man I could find but here I am. I have felt bad about myself for so many years now because of my dystonia status. I obviously still have some self-accepting to do but I want to thank Dr Williams for everything he have done for me,after taking Dr Williams medicine i was completely free from cervical dystonia within one month of usage, I think what you are doing is so admirable. you have helped me a lot! I want to definitely reach out to you and thank you for your amazing work. You are a good person, and an extremely talented man. You have helped millions with your herbs, and have really inspired me,and i pray you still continue doing the good work.you can also email him on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for help

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a sign of gratitude for how my son was saved from dystonia , i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My son suffered dystonia  and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure him. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony of so many people who was cured from dystonia  and so many other with similar body problem, and they left the contact of this doctor who had the herbal cure to  dystonia  . I never imagined  dystonia has a cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my son will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my son used it and in one months he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life. dystonia  has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my testimony .

    ReplyDelete