Saturday 20 December 2014

Living in the Moment

I recently went Christmas shopping with someone I deeply care about. We hop into the car, I help him get his seat belt buckled and we're off. We listen to familiar Christmas music. I sing and he hums along. We arrive at the mall and I take him by his arm and help him to the door. We walk around the mall, our list in my hand. After some gifts are bought we usually break for dinner. Conversation is limited but the company and the caring eyes make it alright. We finish our meal and continue on with the shopping. We buy everything we need and have a few chuckles and smiles as we go. He likes to play "tricks" on me and goes the other way when I turn my head for minute. I make a joke,take his arm, offer a comforting smile and continue on.
Since my stepfather was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease almost five years ago, I have taken him Christmas shopping each year. Although he does not remember a lot of  events of his day now, he was asking about our shopping trip, specifically when we would go. When my mom told me this I was thrilled. I really wasn't sure if he would be up to going this year.

I am writing this as a reminder to myself of the wonderful tradition we share. It is a gift I give to myself. He thinks I am helping him but he is really helping me.

I have learned to live in the moment with my stepfather. "The moment" seems to be a comfortable place for him. Some people are scared by "the moment" but not me. I will continue to cherish every "moment" we have.

We do not remember the days, we remember the moments.

Enjoy the moments. 
xoAngela

No comments:

Post a Comment