Wednesday 26 November 2014

My Moroccan Inspired Veggie Stew

This is one of those stew recipes that you can use whatever you have on hand, kind of like my veggie chili. This stew is the perfect meal for a cool winter day. It is loaded with lots of healthy root veggies and spices. Tumeric has wonderful antioxidant properties and helps support liver function. It also helps clean up metabolic waste from our bodies. It is also said to help ward off colds and flu. (Bonus!)

Cinnamon is good for regulating blood sugars. (I actually put this in my coffee most mornings). It is another powerful antioxidant that helps protect the body against free radicals.
This stew is not only healthy but is very hearty and has that great Moroccan flavor. I can't seem to get enough of it, I have been eating it like crazy for the last week! Follow the recipe and you'll know why. I know I have been posting soups like a crazy lady but I can't help it, it's what I enjoy in the colder months. I am the soup queen!

Ingredients:
2 medium onions cut into bite size pieces or leeks washed and chopped.
1 Tbs EVO
1 cup of chopped carrots, turnip and butternut squash.
1 large sweet potato peeled and chopped
1 carton of chicken or veggie broth
1 large can of diced tomatoes
1 can of chickpeas
1 Tbs of tumeric
1 Tbs of harrisa spice blend (PC black label is what I used)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Directions:
In a large heavy bottomed pot saute onions with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for 5-7 minutes. Add remaining veggies and cook for a few more minutes. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. Lower heat, cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the cover and cook for an additional 20 -30 minutes until stew thickens up. Serve and enjoy and feel great about all the healthy goodness you put into your body!

No comments:

Post a Comment