Friday 7 November 2014

Fall Fog

I have to admit that I have been in a bit of a funk lately. It is really nothing new for me and I’m sure I am not alone in saying this. This time of year just seems to suck every ounce of everything out of me. When the days start to get shorter and air cooler I kind of go into hibernation mode. I find myself tired no matter how much sleep I get and the dark mornings make it torturous to peel myself out of bed 

The clocks did just go back so this has made things a tiny bit better overall, but I am still feeling the fall fog (as I like to call it).
Do you feel this way too? What do you do to overcome the fall fog?

Here are a few tips and tricks to help you feel more alive during the colder months:
-Go to bed earlier, your body needs more sleep in the colder months. 
-Eat seasonal vegetables, like squash, sweet potatoes and turnip. There is evidence that suggests that your body gets more out of certain vegetables when eaten in season. Fall and winter veggies are perfect in soups and stews. (break out that crock pot folks). This time of year people tend to crave carbohydrates but eating them will only make your energy levels crash later on. Stick to foods that give you energy like veggies, lean protein and nuts.
-Drinks lots of water (natures gold). The air in the colder months is much dryer which can dehydrate  your skin and lips etc. Not drinking enough water can lead to fatigue as well. 
-Exercise and keep stress at bay as much as possible. Try to get outside every day for a walk etc. Get a warm jacket and boots and learn to embrace the cold. As the days become shorter we absorb fewer rays, but even on a cloudy days UV rays will stimulate your body to make vitamin D which is fuel for your brain. Light therapy may be an option for people that work day time hours and drive to and from work in the dark.
-Find a hobby or something that stimulates your brain (pull your self away from that TV). Pick up a good book or take a cooking class. Find your creatively.

-Schedule fun things to do. The anticipation will keep your spirits up.  


1 comment:

  1. When the sun sets at 4:55 p.m. I lose my zest for life. I mean...the day is done. :] // itsCarmen.com ☼ ☯

    ReplyDelete